About Me

My photo
A doer, not a dreamer.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New years' unexpected bounty!

There was no better way for me to usher in the New Year than to receive an unexpected cheque for an article I could barely remember writing. The article, about the little known martrydom of Ugandan Muslims long before their more famous 45 Christian counterparts, was retrieved, dusted off and reproduced in the Uganda Jubilee commemorative magazine published in October 2012 by the Daily Monitor Newspaper, where I cut my journalistic teeth. I could use more such unexpected royalty pay-outs as every little helps!

Reading the article however, I couldn't help tripping down memory lane when, as a rookie straight from uni, I had jumped through hoops and nooks to impress my editors and make it as a professional journalist. I could remember the rush of adrenaline every morning when I opened the pages to see my byline smiling back at me.

This morning I gave in to a little self-vanity and decided to google myself (ahem!) and was pleased to see plenty of my articles, some going back as far as 2005 still making the rounds in cyber space. After posting some on the blog to make it easier to access them, I got an idea to try and compile all my articles in to a scrap book of sorts and perhaps pass it on to my children someday - a wonderful reminder of the joys of writing, when all that mattered was "The Story"!

I am hoping to do more writing this year as I settle more comfortably in to my position. I am confident I'll soon shake off the cobwebs of writers bloc and pen something decent and hopefully award-winning. Hope springs eternal, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment