About Me

My photo
A doer, not a dreamer.

Monday, June 14, 2010

2010 FIFA WORLD CUP NEEDS A DOSE OF MAGIC, FAST!

The 2010 FIFA World cup is supposed to be the icing of all global footballing tournaments. This being the first competition to be held on African soil, it has been awaited with much pride and fanfare. Unfortunately, the reality has failed to live up to the fantasy of the last couple of months.

The tournament, at least from the games so far, is lacking in spills and thrills. The goals aren't flying into the nets as fast, or as ferocious as I expected. Indeed, a couple of times, I've found myself dozing through a number of games, and were it not for the love of football in general, would gladly have opted for the comfort of my bed.

Bafana Bafana's opening game was as frustrating as eating one of our local chicken - tasty, but very hard to swallow, and keep down. Madiba's boys left a sour taste in the mouth when they fluffed a myriad of chances that could have delivered not just one, but several blows to Mexico's chances of qualifying to the next round. Although the much touted Argentina-Nigeria match-up offered a few glimpses of footballing genius, it lacked that little bit of vava vooom to rave up the excitement a few notches higher.

The tournament, for me at least, has not yet begun. I'm still holding out for the special one, that one game that would take me on a magic carpet ride to football nirvana. Let me hope I wont have to wait for too long. It it time!

No comments:

Post a Comment